1. Don’t panic-this is the time for your insurance company to shine. Professionals are available 24/7 to assist you and help you navigate the claims process.
2. Whether you have had an auto or a homeowner’s claim, protect the property from further damage.
3. Gather all available details and facts. This should include names, addresses, incident report numbers and witnesses.
4. Call your agent immediately. If your claim has occurred outside office hours, call the afterhours emergency claims number of the company you are insured with. The emergency number for Erie is 1-800-367-3743.
5. Your company provides you with an insurance card to keep in the glove compartment of your vehicle at all times. If you are involved in an auto accident, you will be asked to provide this at the scene. Be sure to get insurance information, license tag numbers, and the identity of all parties involved in the accident. This should include witnesses as well. Many times an independent witness is the key to determining liability.
6. You may opt to file a claim Online instead. This may be done on the website of the company that you are insured with. The website for Erie Insurance is erieinsurance.com. Follow the instructions under How to File a Claim.
7. If your house has sustained damage, make temporary repairs to prevent further damage and to protect your property. For example, if a window has been broken, then installing a piece of plywood as a temporary repair for security purposes would be in order.
8. If your auto has been damaged and is not drivable, then have it towed to the closest shop. You will be given further instructions as the claims process unfolds.
9. In all cases, your safety is the most important thing. Take precautions to protect your safety.
10. You can obtain repair estimates or elect to use Erie’s Direct Repair Programs for your auto or Contractor Repair Program for your home. If you wish to use your own contacts and have suffered a homeowner’s loss, an adjuster will be assigned to assess your damage. If you have suffered an auto loss and wish to use your own repair shop, an appraiser will be assigned to handle your damages.
11. If you have a glass claim, you can call Erie Glass directly at 1-800-552-3743.